Monday, December 18, 2006

Hello Strangers

I am a jazz musician. More accuratley, I am a woman jazz musician. It doesn't seem like a big deal, until you start living the life of one.

If only music was purely for the ears. It's not. It's a spectator sport, and if there is a female in the band, people are quick to point it out. "Hey look there's a girl on the drums!" they might say. That's fine, pointing out somebody by gender. But you would never her them say, "Hey look, there's a black guy on trombone!" That would be too rude. They would refer to him as the Trombone Player. Not the Black Trombone Player.

Well, you see my point.

Except I am a pianist. A woman drummer is much more of a phenomenon than a woman pianist.

So please join me on my journey through life and music, as I aspire to talk freely about my struggles as a musician and as a woman in a man's field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments on my Jazz post. I'd love to hear some of your stuff and can't wait to read your future blog posts.

Good luck with the gigs and keep those keys busy!

~ David